Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Devotional Day 52

Wow, action packed reading today…

John 13 is the last supper. Check out the characters of Peter, Judas and the other disciples. Jesus reveals true humility by washing the disciples' feet.

In John 14, Jesus is explaining why he must go way. He introduces the concept of the Holy Spirit as the One who would be with, upon, and in our lives as we follow Him. This comforter, or the One who is called along side us to help, will only be sent to the earth when Jesus raises from the dead and ascends to God’s right hand.

Check out these amazing thoughts:

Jesus as the only way:
"Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?' Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:5-6).

"'If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him'" (John 14:7).


Jesus embodied the Father. Believe because of His words. If not because of His words, believe because of His works:
"Philip said, 'Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.' Jesus answered: 'Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?'" (John 14:8-9)

"'Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work'" (John 14:10).

"'Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves'" (John 14:11).


Believers will be empowered to do the works of Jesus:
"'I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it'" (John 14:12-14).

Steve Bowen

0 comments: