Monday, March 2, 2009

Devotional Day 43

Luke chapter 22 covers the betrayal of Jesus by Judas and the last supper, Jesus' being arrest, Peter’s denial of him, and Jesus’ appearances before Pilate and Herod. In verse 70 it states, “They all asked, 'Are you then the Son of God?' He replied, 'You are right in saying I am.'"

That was a pretty bold statement for them to process.

In verses 31 and following, Jesus warned Peter “Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail.”

Do you ever feel like your faith is failing? Like life may get the best of you? That you don’t have the strength to carry on…that when the next storm hits, you may be swept away by it?

When I feel like my faith is failing, I think about that verse. Jesus prayed for Peter…Jesus is our advocate…praying for us...It says in Hebrews 7:25 “He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.”

I love the thought, the possibility…the truth…that Jesus prays for you and me. Sometimes that single thought gives me what I need to carry on another day.

As you read Titus today, think about Paul writing to his friend, giving him some practical advice for his church.

Paul was always praying for his friends, writing letters to them to encourage them with their struggles…Take note of how very practical this letter is…instructions on how older men and women should act, and how they should instruct the younger men and women in the church. Instructions to simply “to devote themselves to doing what is good.” (3:8) And to not get caught up in side issues…To be obedient, peaceable, considerate, and humble…

I’ll simply end this devotional the way Paul ended his letter… “Grace be with you all.”

Scott Sliver

0 comments: