Friday, February 20, 2009

Devotional Day 33

There used to be a popular bumper sticker that read: "He who dies with the most toys wins!" The Beatles said it this way, "Money don't get everything it's true...What it don't get, I can't use...Now give me money...That's what I want." I find it easy to spot this kind of greed in my life. It is like a giant pink elephant in the middle of the living room...you just can't miss it.

What I find hard to notice are the many small ways that I fail to trust God for my security. I think about my job as the source of my income...my 401k as the source of my future security...I view all of these things as what guarantees my stability. When this happens it is more subtle...more easily overlooked...but just as detrimental.

Luke 19:22-31 says, "Then Jesus said to his disciples: 'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes...Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.'"

In the midst of the economic instability and government bailout packages, God promises that we will have everything we need to live. The lilies of the field are appropriately clothed. The animals do not have to worry about where their food is coming from. We do not have to chase after such things because our Father already knows what we need.

The uncertainty can not take away from God's ability to care for His people.

Eric Wright

0 comments: